Annual Physical and Wellness Exams
Scheduling regular physical and wellness exams is the most vital step you can take as an owner to ensure your pet’s current and long term health. At Stoney Pointe, we believe strongly in preventive health care for your pet and have established guidelines for each stage of your pet’s life. As a general rule though, we recommend an annual physical exam with a wellness exam every 6 months in between. The information gathered from each examination is saved as part of your pet’s permanent medical record and becomes crucial in the event of an emergency or sudden illness.
Each complete examination includes but is not limited to:
- A check for significant weight loss or gain, either of which may serve as an early warning sign of potential problems or disease.
- Assessment of the condition of the legs, hips, joints, spine, muscles, and lymph nodes.
- Checking the skin and coat for general health and any signs of disease. We will also check for skin infections or signs of fleas, ticks, or mites.
- Palpating of the abdomen for abnormal masses or pain.
- Listening to the chest for heart murmurs, irregular heartbeat, or abnormal lung sounds.
- Examining the eyes for cataracts, glaucoma, or inflammation.
- Examining the ears for ear mites, infection, or inflammation.
- Evaluating the nose and nasal passages for signs of upper respiratory disease.
- A check for heartworm and other parasites.
- Administration of any vaccinations that may be due at the time.
- Also part of the exam is a complimentary nail trim as necessary.
Based on their findings, our veterinary team will be able to make personalized recommendations for the ongoing health and well being of your pet. Early prevention, detection, and correction of any problems are the keys to giving your loved one a long and healthy life.